Well done to the four Potchefstroom Academy Interior Design students whose furniture design entries have been selected for the The Department of Trade and Industry (the dti), – Multifunctional Furniture Design Competition:
Shannon Taljaard (3rd year student)
Nokuzola Kwaza (2nd year student)
Simone Kirsten (3rd year student)
Marilize Smit (3rd year student)
The Department of Trade and Industry (the dti), South African Furniture Initiative (SAFI), Proudly South African, and their partners, invited South African Designers to participate in the Furniture Design Competition. Entries are opened in the following categories:
• Student categories – Designed Students registered in South African Educational Institutes
• Established Furniture designers/ Manufacturers – For Manufacturing Companies/Designers.
The aim of the competition is to raise and nurture design capabilities in the country, raise the image of the South African Furniture Manufacturing Industry, and to advance local industry through the introduction of new products. The Interior Design students were tasked to design a furniture piece for small living spaces that is multi-functional and provides storage.
Competition furniture designs must respond to peoples changing lifestyles and respond to the way people live and use their space. This make furniture pieces important, and their need to reflect individual lifestyles should be captured in design. The submitted pieces had to also reflect the furniture trends, using different textures, colours and shapes.
Competition Prizes include:
• One year internship for the winning student
• One year Proudly SA membership for the winning manufacturer
• An opportunity to participate and exhibit at the 100% Design Expo for the winning manufacturer
• Software prizes
• Profiling of winners in relevant publications & Media exposure
• Design tools